Adult Learning Calculator
The Adult Learning Calculator1 is used to estimate the number of Adult Learners2 in any given U.S. population3.
If you know the size of the population from which you wish to estimate simply type the number (no commas please) in the box and click calculate.
If you do not know the size of the population
- first determine the area you wish analyze. This can be a zip code, an aggregation of zip codes, a county, an aggregation of counties, a state, or an aggregation of states or the US.
- Then go to U.S. Census Bureau Fact Finder and look up the total population of the area you wish to analyze
- type the number (no commas please) in the box and click calculate
- be sure to cite the source for these numbers as The Adult Learning Calculator http://www.mgdolence.com/ (Date retrieved)
- The Adult Learning Calculator is a service provided by Michael G. Dolence and Associates. The numbers provided are an estimate based upon participation rates estimated in the National Household education Survey. While we believe these estimates are the best available based upon current research and information these numbers carry no guarantee nor warrantee neither expressed or implied.
- Adult education is defined in NHES as: College, vocational, or occupational programs, continuing education or noncredit courses, correspondence courses and tutoring, as well as courses and other educational activities provided by employers, community groups, and other providers.
- To find any service area population as-well-as a host of other information regarding the general population refer to the U.S. Census Bureau Fact Finder utility at
- Information on the type of provider of adult education activities was aggregated as follows:
- Elementary/secondary: elementary, junior high school, or high school
- Postsecondary: 2-year community or junior college, 2-year vocational school, or 4-year college or university
- Trade organization: private vocational, trade, business, hospital, or flight school, and adult learning center
- Private: private community organization, church or religious organization, tutor, or private instructor
- Business: business or industry or professional association
- Government: federal, state, county, or local government, or public library.
- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, National Household Education Survey (NHES), 1995 (Adult Education Component)
- Overall participation rate of 46% from National Household Education Survey (NHES), 1999 (Adult Education Component)
- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, National Household Education Survey (NHES) Adult Education surveys conducted in 1991, 1995, 1999, 2001, and 2003. (Another will be conducted in 2005.)